Every thot, every feeling and every observation that moves or inspires...

Tuesday 4 December 2007

Nazri, "Stupid and Insensitive" quote

“It was stupid of the officials not to be considerate (and) to look into sensitive matters like this. I believe it could have been done in a better way if (the state government) had just waited a few more days. Let the Hindus celebrate their Deepavali,” he said. “Deepavali is a religious festival. It could have been handled much better and with more sensitivity (to) the feelings of the Hindus,” said Nazri Abdul Aziz, Minister in the Prime Minister Department.

Extract from Malaysia Kini- Nazri commenting on the destruction of the temple in Shah Alam by the MBSA.

You think....??!!! I am just wondering what took him such a long time to comment on the issue. Did he have amnesia or something? Hello.... its been almost a month now after the incident. How considerate of Nazri to think about the feelings of the Hindu community. Wait a minute, didnt the Umno general assembly take place during Deepavali? Hhmmmm.....

Gee, when will they learn that the rakyat are not stupid. All these sugar-coated words are not going to help with the elections. Here we have a government who silence the minorities, as they are not exactly represented in the Parliment (lets not even start about MIC). A government who do not listen to the plight of the rakyat, regarless of the race - Orang Asli, hardcore poor Malays and Indians. A government that makes promises to all people only before elections. And once the elections are over, its back to square one.

I remember as a student I used to burn the midnight oil during Deepavali. Yes, true to the spirit of Deepavali. Unfortunately, it was for the exam papers I was studying for the very next day. I hated it! I used to wonder why is the government so cruel. Couldnt they have allowed at least couple of days after the festival before the next paper...

Even as a child I knew we were different and that we may be discriminated. I used to wonder if I would do well with my skin colour and if I would be discriminated. Yes, not only because of my race, it is also due to the fact that I am a woman. I dont know which is worst. But I am surviving it.

But my feelings go out to the poor in the estates who have been neglected. What goes through their mind, I wonder.... Some living for the sake of it, hoping that one day change will come - for the better. So many afraid to voice out, some ignorant - probably kept that way so that its easier to fish for votes. But change is coming and its by the people.

The temple issue had just broken the camel's back. While I am not for structures being erected everywhere, there are ways of handling sensitive issues and it looked like the council members just had fun doing what they did. And to think there are so many illegal immigrants especially Indonesians who have gone on for years living happily in their illegal squatter homes and having legal IC. To think that these people have been allowed to do so by the government.

My point here is, it longer works if the government is merely making promises. You may just win the elections, but to a growing rakyat who are frustrated and they are not going to take it sitting.

I think Khir Toyo is in trouble....While Nazri does not think Selangor Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo has any “personal vendetta” against Hindus, he said the manner in which the latter implemented the state’s ‘zero squatters’ policy leaves much to be desired.

“I think we (can) put it to experience, which he probably lacks. I agree with you that matters touching religious issues should be handled more cautiously and not in a wanton way according to individual whims and fancies,” said Nazri.


Scape-goat or not, its time to see some changes in the state government as well...

1 comment:

Seal in Astral said...

why late in making statements? he waited for the wind to blow .... so he blame someone else...